History of the buildings

In 1953 the new Canberra North Parish led by the Revd Ted Buckle was formed consisting of Turner, O'Connor and Ainslie. The independent parochial district of St Philip's Turner, O'Connor and Lyneham was launched in 1960. Bishop Clements declared St Philip's to be a parish at the service dedicating the church building, in 1961.

Click the photos to see larger versions and catch the detail.

The church hall

The Rt Revd Ernest Burgmann, Bishop, laid the foundation stone of the Church Hall in May 1957. The plans has been designed by architects Hocking and Warren in June 1955.

Stone Laying
Bishop Burgmann, Ted Buckle at the laying of the foundation stone.

Stone Laying

Clergy: Gordon Arthur, Ted Buckle and Bishop Burgmann; laymen: David Reid (front), Fred Pooler(?).

Foundation Stone
The Foundation Stone: click the image to see details better.

Stone Laying
St Philip's O'Connor 1957 CEBS include Bob Arthur (?maybe not), Geoffrey Young (far right?)

The hall in the late 1950s

Many thanks to Dave Pfister who sent this photo that he took as a young boy.

Hall and cross late 1950s

 

The church building

Initially a church-in-the-round was proposed. This gave way to the present A-frame, designed gratis by Mr John Goldsmith, a parishioner of St John's and Head of the Architects' Division of the National Capital Development Commission, and built by Mr J. Larko. The building is an outstanding example of the 1950s A-frame architectural style.

On 25th May 1958, the Governor-General Field Marshall Sir William Slim [Later Viscount Slim], KG, GCB, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, DSO, MC, unveiled the plaque at the foot of the cross in the courtyard to commemorate the start to the building of the church and the opening of the new hall.

The church building was dedicated by the Rt Revd Kenneth Clements, Bishop of Canberra & Goulburn in 1961.

Construction of the church building in 1960.

Many thanks to Rev'd Robert Willson (Rector 1979-85) for these photos.

St Philip's building 1960

St Philip's building 1960

St Philip's building 1960

Vice regal invitation

Commencement Plaque
The Commencement plaque: click the image to see details better.

Consecration of the building

Consecration of St Philip's

The Church building was consecrated by the Rt Revd Cecil Warren, Bishop of Canberra & Goulburn, on 28 November 1981. Here Bishop Warren is seen talking with Miss Rona Blanchard, parishioner and headmistress of Turner Infants School.