The Lamerton Centre: a building for St Philip's care

The Lamerton Centre is a new building completed in the St Philip grounds in 2013 and named in honour of the Revd Robert Lamerton (1948-2008), who was Rector of St Philip's 1999-2008.

Lamerton Centre

The Lamerton Centre provides:
  • A meeting room with kitchenette
    The multi-purpose space is for Parish committee meetings, extension of Pandora's Pre-loved Fashions when it's open, Sunday morning tea facilities, and Parish groups and gatherings of all kinds.
  • Accommodation for St Philip's Care at St Philip's
    for example with ESL classes, play groups, and migrant and refugee support. The meeting room will be available for hire when convenient.

Following ground work and site preparation, the main structure of the building was installed 16-18 July. The building's first important use was for the Twilight Fair in November 2013.

The Centre is at the north end of the courtyard adjacent to the car park—also enlarged and improved as part of this project. Together with new gates, it allows the courtyard to be enclosed for the safety of children's activities, yet with good access for deliveries and public gatherings.

The courtyard was also renovated in time for the opening of the Centre!

Funds for the Centre came from parish funds, special donations from parish members, and grants. In addition to generous grants from Anglicare and ACT Community Support and Infrastructure, we also received two smaller grants—a Commonwealth Government Volunteers Grant and ACT Government community security grant. A first the Parish borrowed to meet the remaining costs, but the debt was then paid from a generous bequest by Carola Parkes who was a parishioner of St Philip's for many years.

The Centre was officially opened and dedicated on Saturday 20 September 2014, by the Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn, the Rt Revd Stuart Robinson.