Story of the buildings and grounds

Click the photos to see larger versions and catch the detail.

The church hall

The Rt Revd Ernest Burgmann, Bishop, laid the foundation stone of the Church Hall in May 1957. The plans were been designed by architects Hocking and Warren in June 1955.

Stone Laying
Bishop Burgmann, Ted Buckle at the laying of the foundation stone.

Stone Laying

Clergy: Gordon Arthur, Ted Buckle and Bishop Burgmann; laymen: David Reid (front), Fred Pooler(?).

Foundation Stone
The Foundation Stone: click the image to see details better.

Stone Laying
St Philip's O'Connor 1957 CEBS include Bob Arthur (?maybe not), Geoffrey Young (far right?)

The hall in the late 1950s

Thank you to Dave Pfister who sent this photo that he took as a boy.

Hall and cross late 1950s

The church building

Initially a church-in-the-round was proposed. This gave way to the present A-frame, designed gratis by Mr John Goldsmith, a parishioner of St John's and Head of the Architects' Division of the National Capital Development Commission, and built by Mr J. Larko. The building is an outstanding example of the 1950s A-frame architectural style.

On 25th May 1958, the Governor-General Field Marshall Sir William Slim [Later Viscount Slim], KG, GCB, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, DSO, MC, unveiled the plaque at the foot of the cross in the courtyard to commemorate the start to the building of the church and the opening of the new hall.

The church building was dedicated by the Rt Revd Kenneth Clements, Bishop of Canberra & Goulburn in 1961.

Vice regal invitation

Commencement Plaque
The Commencement plaque: click the image to see details better.

Construction of the church building in 1960.

Many thanks to Rev'd Robert Willson (Rector 1979-85) for these photos.

St Philip's building 1960

St Philip's building 1960

St Philip's building 1960

Consecration of St Philip's

Consecration of the building

The Church building was consecrated by the Rt Revd Cecil Warren, Bishop of Canberra & Goulburn, on 28 November 1981. Here Bishop Warren is seen talking with Miss Rona Blanchard, parishioner and headmistress of Turner Infants School.

The Lamerton Centre: a building for St Philip's care

The Lamerton Centre was completed in the St Philip's grounds in 2013 and named in honour of the Revd Robert Lamerton (1948-2008), who was Rector of St Philip's 1999-2008.

Lamerton Centre
courtyard

The courtyard

The Hazel Shakespeare courtyard is a peaceful and retreat, used often during the better weather for morning tea and other functions. The two Jarrah seats were donated by the Church Women's Union. The courtyward was rebuilt in 2014 for the opening of the Lamerton Centre.


St Philip's Anglican Church, corner Moorhouse and Macpherson Streets, O'Connor, ACT 2602
HTML5